Easy Read Time: 7 Minutes
From privacy and security point of view, the safest web browser is the one that provides a wide range of strong features regarding data-protection and are easy to use. Such types of secure web browsers don’t keep a track of individual’s online activities, and they’re built in such a way that they prevent anyone from getting their hands on someone else’ data. Many web users find it problematic to secure and protect their secrecy within the browsers lacking the excellent security measures while browsing through the internet. Among several other issues involved in determining the browser security, there also include the ability to preserve individual’s credentials in a secure way, ability to share the information safely and under full protection, and the ability to operate and function within the typical browser spaces.
Each of the web user should be involved in solving the above mentioned challenges using the secure browser identification as it drives through the roots of what an individual does on a daily basis over the internet that is browsed on smartphones, desktops, and laptops. So, it is of great importance that browser must be chosen very wisely so that data remains protected and secured.
Some of the most secure and protected web browsers have been mentioned below, with the details that makes them the most secure browsers.
Table of Content +
It was developed by a non-profit organization known as “Mozilla Foundation” and operates as software application in Linux, Windows, desktops, macOS, and even in Android as well as many other operating systems based platforms. The Mozilla browser is well known for its customizability and is considered as a favored alterative to other competitive browsers such as Google, Apple, and Microsoft.
Firefox displays a “padlock icon” to let its users know whether their internet connection is secured enough to connect or not. However, Firefox’s padlock icon is surprisingly delicate. It’s easy to miss that an individual’s connection is unprotected or unsecured.
Security Features of Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla has many security features that makes it the most secured and protected web browser. Some of the security features are as follows:
- Its significant security protocol is that it restricts the possibility of a script from one site from interfering or accessing information from other websites by making use of TLS. It also uses the SSL to protect servers under the https protocols, and as such, the Mozilla Firefox can operate under any HTTPS anywhere even when the requisite HTTPs is not included in the linked address . Compared to Microsoft Explorer, Firefox has fewer vulnerability points and as a result, it is a number one web browser. Firefox patches off bugs that are discovered by researchers online and uses these research teams to promote their safety and security features once they realize new security holes. The recently released Firefox Quantum has been made with enhanced speeds and is bound to use an even smaller memory. It is also secure than its earlier sister version.
- Another Firefox’s security feature is the use of the “Private Browsing page” or “incognito Mode” which prevents hackers and online trackers. It also ensures that it does not store the user’s browsing history, meaning that as a user, an individual will be protected against tracking, especially by advertisements that look into user’s history and tailor ads that suit one’s perceived preferences. Mozilla does not serve its customers with unnecessary ads as does Google with Google Chrome, and therefore it is a celebrated browser in terms of providing confidentiality and privacy to its online users.
- Firefox does not offer update notifications to its users as frequently as other browsers do. Yet, it sends browser updates to its users within certain timeframe. Provided that Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit company, therefore, it is quite intriguing that its coding volunteers continuously work to make sure that the Firefox browser is loaded with the updated and latest security measures and browsing features within weeks.
- Mozilla Firefox browser has a “malware and fraud protection tool” that serves to alert users of any suspicious developments within the web browser pages that they are browsing over the internet. This software application works automatically by default in the Mozilla Browser. It also looks into the blacklists for phishing and related viruses that could be displayed on the web page more than once and hence, gives the users the opportunity to decide to continue browsing or go ahead and hide or open another web page.
- Mozilla Firefox also works under an in-built advertisements blocker and redirects their advertisements with what they term as super high speeds through rich content.
- It was considered to be weak when it came to containing hacking as per the survey conducted by Pwn2Own. They reported that it had suffered a hacking for the last two years. In fact, it suffered two hacking attempts. However, it was able to contain the attack by elevating the windows’ privileges through the use of an uninitialized buffer zone within the Operating System’s kernel.
- Firefox has an “effective sandbox, regular updates, and built-in protection system” against intrusive practices. It is considered to be the “last bastion” against Chrome’s dominance of the web browser market .
- Before downloading any file, it quickly asks the approval of the user which helps in preventing the users from downloading any risky files from the internet.
- In addition to that, it also prevents from all cookies related to third parties, by default. This feature makes it a prominently secure browser than others making the device protected.
After reviewing the best and secure internet browsers, it can be concluded that Mozilla Firefox is the best available, secure and protected browser on the market today. Mozilla has all those privacy and security measures that a browser should have. The customization features of Mozilla makes it comparable and secure in standpoint with other top browsers such as Chrome or Opera. However, when Firefox revamped their browser they had already captured the millions of users over the span of existence and attracted new users by adding more features and made it also easier for the user to customize the browser to their needs. Firefox has made huge advancement in reducing the amount of memory it takes to run the program as well as cutting down on the launch time.
Over the past few years, Firefox has created a faster and better browser for users to surf the Internet with. According to a survey, Firefox has positioned itself back at the top of the list again in terms of being a most secure and protected browser after Chrome had dominated the market for several years. From the research performed it appears that Mozilla’s Firefox is the best Internet browser on the market.
The Opera browser is the creation of the Opera Software that was developed by “Norway’s Telenor Company” that came into existence and started its operation in 1994. It later changed into the Opera Software ASA when it broke from Telenor and became an independent entity in 1995 and released the first version of the Opera browser in 1996, which was then run on the Microsoft Windows Operating System under a 2.0 version .
Opera is currently used on macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linus platforms. It operates just like the Chromium web browser, which works on the basis of the open-source platform, just like Google Chrome. It has a trusted user base despite the fact that it looks like it lacks behind amongst its sister web browsers.
Security Features of Opera Browser
Opera Browser has many security features that makes it to the list of the most secured and protected web browser. Some of the security features are as follows:
- Opera works with a free built-in “virtual private network (VPN)” which is a great security feature for online users. It further encrypts the user’s browsing history session with the internet connection of the browser, thus keeping away prying users or hackers from interfering with user’s processes . The VPN protection, however, is not as reliable as that offered under the pay-for-play platform as this will only protect the user and its activities but will not protect user from being seen in terms of email, applications, and torrents, which can still be trailed by external parties. The VPN provided by Opera is also limited compared to the paid plan. In fact, its locations are only limited to Asia, America, and Europe.
- Opera has a malware and scam protection tool that serves to aware its users of any suspicious activities within the Opera web browser pages that they are browsing. This application works autonomously by default. It also looks into the blacklists for phishing and related viruses that could be displayed on the page more than once and therefore gives the user the opportunity to decide to continue browsing or go ahead and hide or open another web page. Opera also works under an in-built advertisements blocker and redirects their advertisements with what they term as super high speeds through rich content.
- Another feature of Opera browser is that it uses a technique referred to as the ‘sandboxing’ of tabs to prevent the possibility of them interacting and interfering with the memory processes . Hence, it secures the folders, documents, files, and memory from interruptions placed by requests and orders within its network that cannot be attainable at the time. It has enhanced its security by disallowing master passwords and thus preventing unauthorized access into other user’s passwords once the information is stored within the browser .
- Opera also possess the feature of ‘incognito mode’ for private browsing, an application that is used to prevent the browser from allowing the storage of the user’s browsing history. Such an eventuality would facilitate other cookies to access user’s information based on the sites that a user has visited and thus jeopardize its security. However, “Incognito feature” will not block against any hackers, or attacker or even the ISPs and as such, these certain groups will still have the ability to perform their online trickery and scam once they have an opportunity. The only means to secure such a possibility is to use a “Virtual Private Network” to secure confidential information .
- Opera browser is also safer and secure for reason that it uses to different blacklists to enhance its security . One of the blacklists is concerned with malware whereas the other is concerned with the containment of phishing. Malware serves to alert users when there is an attempt to carry an intrusion into the web pages as Opera also provides the “automatic virus scanning services” that protect against spyware and viruses.
 “7 Secure Browsers to Protect Your Privacy and Stay Safe,” Restore Privacy. https://restoreprivacy.com/browser/secure/ (accessed Jan. 28, 2021).
 “Ranked: Best Browsers for Privacy and Security (2021) | ExpressVPN Blog,” Home of internet privacy, Mar. 04, 2019. https://www.expressvpn.com/blog/best-browsers-for-privacy/ (accessed Jan. 28, 2021).
 “Most Secure Web Browsers – 2021 | BestVPN.org.” https://bestvpn.org/best-secure-web-browsers/ (accessed Jan. 28, 2021).
 Software et al., “Opera (company) – Wikipedia.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera_(company) (accessed Jan. 28, 2021).
 “Management of quality of service enabled VPNs.” https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/920862 (accessed Jan. 28, 2021).
 T. Sandbox, “Partnership Announcement: The Sandbox ft. Opera,” Medium, Feb. 28, 2020. https://medium.com/sandbox-game/partnership-announcement-the-sandbox-ft-opera-cf1ad8c409d1 (accessed Jan. 28, 2021).
 “What is the Most Secure Web Browser? Comparison of the 6 Most Popular Browsers « TipTopSecurity.” https://tiptopsecurity.com/what-is-the-most-secure-web-browser/ (accessed Jan. 28, 2021).
 “How to Turn on the Incognito Mode Function in Opera,” GreenGeeks. https://www.greengeeks.com/tutorials/article/turn-on-incognito-mode-function-opera/ (accessed Jan. 28, 2021).
 S. Sheng, B. Wardman, and G. Warner, “An Empirical Analysis of Phishing Blacklists,” p. 11.